With its rich history and spectacular scenery, the Avon Valley is the quintessential country escape.
Towns such as York, Northam and Toodyay have long been favourites with weekend visitors browsing the antique stores, buying pastries from the local bakeries and exploring WA’s heritage.
For others it’s family fun or the thrill of outdoor adventure and the challenge of white-water rafting, hiking and ballooning that takes them beyond the city limits.
With so much on the doorstep, it’s little wonder the area is proving popular with people in search of a treechange a little over an hour from Perth.
If you’re looking to build a new home in the country, here are 5 reasons you might want to find your block in the Avon Valley:
- Growth: Like many regions, the Avon Valley is benefiting from an influx of new residents and investment. Earmarked as a regional hub by the shire council, Northam now enjoys upgraded recreation facilities, including a new swimming pool, and Bunnings has returned to the town, building a new $3 million store.
- Character: Steeped in history, towns such as York and Toodyay are laidback and welcoming, with a good choice of blocks available both in and out of town. Looking for something a little further away from the neighbours? Bigger blocks in the Avon Valley are readily available and well-priced, with lots of space for that workshop, shed or music studio. A mix of building materials and construction techniques, including framed construction, not only offers plenty of design scope, but also helps tackle any terrain, including the sloping sites the valley is well-known for.
- Rural home designs: A move to the Avon Valley is the chance you’ve been waiting for if you love the idea of designing a country-style home. Maybe a traditional Australian homestead or a classic cottage? Or something more modern maybe? The winters are chillier than in Perth, so what better excuse than to build in a huge fireplace for cosying up in front of on those cold nights. When the days are hot and dry, the veranda provides welcome shade and helps keep the sun away from the inside of the house.
- Community: Good schools, busy sports and social groups, and a wealth of independent businesses help create a strong local community.
- Nature: Many people who build a new home in the Avon Valley enjoy an elevated location, designing their new home to capture views forever. With nature on the doorstep you’re never far from an outdoor adventure or a relaxing walk in acres of national park.
Browse our range of home designs to picture what your new home in the Avon Valley might look like.